Part of a series on capability building
Capability building: The assess phase
We previously looked at introducing capability building and described what capability building entails and how your organisation can benefit. Here, we discuss in more detail the first phase of our engagement with you as you start your transformation journey – the Assess Phase.
Assess is the first phase of your capability journey with NearForm. The aim of this phase is to learn how your organisation currently work and help you assess digital transformation projects to begin with. It also delivers a strategy plan that improves your product or service with an empowered, up-skilled team.
During the Assess phase, in collaboration with you, we objectively assess your organisation’s challenges. We:
- Identify Initiatives
- Define Metrics
- Let’s discuss these in more detail.
We see what your organisation currently does with our senior team spending some time on site. We engage with the key stakeholders to understand the challenges your organisation faces and analyse the current tools, processes and technologies that you use. The assessment with you includes an objective and comprehensive review of your existing:
- Development and DevOps practices and processes.
Our senior team of experts, which includes technical directors, product specialists and design leaders, work with your teams to identify the skills required and offer learning programs to develop skills and train your teams. It takes our senior team four to six weeks to complete the Assess phase depending on complexity and concurrent project streams.
We define metrics that can be used to track and measure success.
- We review the developer environment and get their feedback on whether they are constantly blocked by SIT or Production environments. How often do they release? Do they develop in isolation of other teams? Are there delays due to dependencies on other teams? Are they hampered by legacy technology Are they aware of the latest available tools and processes?
We define how to increase the sprint velocity.
- We review the test setup and test tools. We measure the code coverage and identify gaps in the coverage. We measure the time spent testing – is it effective? Could it be automated? What’s the bug count and the bug resolution time? We outline how we can improve these.
- We measure the efficiency and frequency of your development and deployment cycle and determine where the bottlenecks and issues exist. Is it cumbersome to deploy new features? We define how to reduce your technical debt.
- We review the organisation structure to determine the team formats. Are they traditional squads? Are the sizes effective? Does everyone have a clear role? Do the POs have experience managing a backlog? Are there too many teams? Based on our experience with other clients, we define an improved team structure where everyone has clear responsibilities and objectives. We provide workshops and training in these new ways of working and on how to manage the backlog.
- We define how to improve the architecture and code as well as define the KPIs to measure these improvements. We outline how to improve performance and reduce maintenance overhead. This can be done by automating dependency updates for example, or introducing modern best practices. This also includes how to refactor the codebase and the architecture to
- Build time
- Render time
- Bundle size
- Launch speed
- Site traffic
- User engagement and retention
- Conversion rates and revenue
- We outline how to enhance the developer experience by improving the logging and error handling.
- We outline how to future proof your architecture and code. Is it possible to scale and evolve your existing product and services? Is legacy software and infrastructure holding you back? We quantify the effort required to build capability, design and develop a high quality product or service that meets your needs.
- We identify the skills and training needed to carry out a successful digital transformation and build capability. We provide workshops, hands-on mentoring and coaching on processes, tools and best practices in coding. We also provide Node.js certification.
Create and deliver a plan
We deliver a detailed strategy plan as part of the Assess phase. This describes our insights into your organisation and includes a detailed offering of proposed processes and key recommendations. We identify the capability gaps within your teams and make comprehensive proposals on how to address them.
We identify initiatives that:
- Advance your product and services offerings to use the latest proven technologies.
- Introduce best practices in your processes and code.
- Increase the efficiency and effectiveness of your development and deployment pipelines.
- Transfer delivery capability and enhance your teams’ knowledge and skill sets.
The strategy plan includes a timeline for both the Build and Grow phases of the engagement with clearly defined milestones and deliverables that align with your expectations and needs. For example, we can run a single workstream or work on simultaneous workstreams for the duration of the engagement.
We walk you through the strategy plan to give you a clear explanation of our proposal. We also outline the benefits and returns you can expect as well as the metrics you can use to quantify these benefits.
Following the Assess phase, we progress to the Build phase, where we implement the strategy identified during the assessment with you and your teams. Read more about it in the next section about Capability Building.